ArcelorMittal plant in Nova Huta, a borough of Krakow, Poland was founded
The mill was named Huta Lenin and the first iron from blast furnace No.1
was tapped in 1954.In 1955 an open hearth steel making shop was added and
in 1956 a hot strip mill started production.
Blast furnaces No.2 and No.3 were completed in 1956 and 1958.
In between 1954-56 four coke oven batteries were built.
In 1961 a fourth blast furnace was added.
In 1966 the BOF melt shop containing two 100 ton vessels (a third vessel
was added in 1971) was launched and the new large volume (2000m³) blast
furnace No.5 was built.
In 1970 some of the old open hearth furnaces were replaced by two new
In between 1978 and 1998 all BOFs were enlarged to 160 ton capacity.
In 1990 the mill got it’s new name Huta Tadeusz
In June 1991 the open hearth steel plant was closed
down.The Mittal steel group took over the site in 2005.Two years later a
new state of the art wide hot strip mill was comissioned.