tube mill in Chomutov (former Komotau) is one of the oldest production
sites for seamsless steel tubes worldwide.
It was founded by the inventors of the process, the Mannesmann brothers,
some local investors and Friedrich Siemens in 1887 on ground of the
Eisen- und Stahlgesellschaft“ steel company. The Pilger
rolling process, that stretches the thick walled hollow coming from the
piercing mill (their first invention) into a tube was developed here in
Komotau in 1890.
Until the end of the second world war the Chomutov plant became the center
of the Mannesmann group's vast combine of companies in Czechoslovakia.
After the war the mill was nationalized under the name “Válcovny
trub, národní podnik” and combined
with the nearby Poldihütte
After the re-privatization the company became part of the Z-Group Steel holding in 1997.