DEUTSCHE EDELSTAHLWERKE, KREFELD
Urheberrechte, Copyright: ©Uwe Niggemeier
The steel plant in Krefeld was founded in 1900 among others by August Thyssen and Peter Klöckner under the name Krefelder Stahlwerke AG.
Though originally planned as an integrated mill only open hearth furnaces and forging facilities were installed.
In 1916 the first electric arc furnace started production.
In 1926 the Krefelder Stahlwerke became part of the giant Vereinigte Stahlwerke trust and were renamed into Deutsche Edelstahlwerke AG.
The Thyssen steel company took over after the war and from 1974 on the Krefeld mill was part of Thyssen Edelstahlwerke, joining the steel mill in Witten.
In 1977 the first AOD converter was installed.
In 1994 the forging and remelting activities in Krefeld were seperated from the steel production and fusioned with Thyssen’s long products steel mill in Witten to form the Edelstahlwerke Witten-Krefeld (EWK).
In 1997 the 3300 ton open die press in Krefeld was completly overhauled and in 2001 the world’s largest long forging machine (RF 70) was installed.
In 2005 the plant was taken over by Schmolz & Bickenbach and got it’s old name Deutsche Edelstahlwerke back.