Huta Kroleweska was founded in 1797 and started the production of pig iron
in 1802.It was named “Königshütte” in honour of the Prussian King.
In 1843 a puddling steel mill and the first rail mill went into
production.Until 1860 four blast furnaces and a coke plant were built. An
open hearth melt shop was installed in 1880 and a Bessemer plant was added
By 1909 the Puddling and Bessemer mills were closed and in 1912 a Thomas
converter melt shop was comissioned.
Under Polish administration the plant was renamed “Huta Pilsudski” in
1935.During the German occupation the mill was called Königshütte again
and after the war the name of “Huta Kosciuszko” was used.
In 1949 the DEMAG medium and light sections rolling mill was installed.
In the 1950ies new blast furnaces and coke oven batteries were built.More
than 8000 people were employed.
Steel production ceased in 1978, the coke plant was closed in 1982 and the
last blast furnace was blown out in 1991. In 1992 the wire rolling mill
was closed down.
In 1994 a new walking beam furnace was installed for the heavy sections
In 1997 the light and medium sections mill was modernized.The Huta
Kosciuszko became a shareholders company in 1998.
In 2007 the ArcelorMittal steel company takes over the mill under the name
“Huta Krolewska” (Germ., Königshütte).
Krolewska today runs a heavy sections rolling mill mostly for rails and a
light and medium sections mill.Raw
materials are provided by the
in Dabrowa Gornica.