The company was founded in 1911 as Eisenwerk Wanheim and became a major
producer of steel structures (like bridges) and mining equipment,employing
up to 2000 people.
After being part of the Vereinigte Stahlwerke AG during the war Wanheim
became a subsidiary of the Rheinstahl combine in the 50ies later renamed
Rheinstahl AG f. Bergbau- u. Umformtechnik.
In 1976 Thyssen Stahl took over and kept the famous Rheinstahl bow for its
Wanheims new name now was: Thyssen Präzisionschmiede.
In 2008 Thyssen Umformtechnik was sold to the Indian Sona group and the
Wanheim works are now fusioned with the former Thyssen forge in Remscheid
to form the Sona BLW Präzisionschmiede GmbH.
Duisburg Wanheim by now is a closed die forge for heavy truck and