Vargön Alloys was
founded in 1874 as a pulp mill.
The first ferro-alloy smelter was installed in 1912 benefitting from the
nearby hydroelectric power plants.
The pulp plant was sold in 1969.
In 1972 the world's largest ferro alloys furnace (No.12) was installed. It
has a daily capacity of up to 300 tons of ferro chrom.
From 1979 on the company was called Vargön Alloys AB.
Furnace No. 10 was refurbished for the production of ferro chrom in 1995
and has a capacitiy of 80 tons/d.
In 2008 the mill was bought by the Yildirim Group from Turkey.