Urheberrechte, Copyright: ©Uwe Niggemeier
The steel mill in Krefeld, Germany was
established in 1900 by Carl Spaeter, Peter Klöckner and August Thyssen
under the name Krefelder Stahlwerk AG. Open hearth steel production
started in 1901. In 1907 three rolling mills were installed. In 1911 a
tube mill was added. A forging press went into production in 1917.
In 1927 the Krefeld mill became part of the speciality steel group
Deutsche Edelstahlwerke AG out of Bochum, Germany.
The first electric arc furnace was installed in 1930.
The new melt shop number 3 including two 70 ton electric arc furnaces was
built by DEMAG in 1952.
A new wire mill started rolling in 1963.Open hearth steel making
ceased in 1970.The year 1971 saw the complete takeover by the August
Thyssen Hütte AG from Duisburg.
The new name from 1974 on was Thyssen Edelstahlwerke AG the Krefeld mill
was merged now with Edelstahlwerk Witten AG.
In 1977 the first of two 80 ton AOD-converters was installed by the GHH
company.Two rolling mills were closed in 1982.
In 1985 one electric arc furnace was modernised and the other one closed
down. In 1989 the old melt shop NO 1 (30 ton furnace) was closed.The wire
mill was shut down in 1993.
A new name in 1994: Edelstahlwerke Witten-Krefeld GmbH.
Krefeld merged with Krupp's Bochum based stainless steel mill to form
Krupp Thyssen Nirosta GmbH in 1995.
All forging activities in Krefeld came to EWK (now
Deutsche Edelstahlwerke). A strip caster was installed in 2001.
VAI Siemens installed two new 80 ton AOD-converters in 2009.
The Finnish Outokumpu group takes over the Nirosta mills (now called
Inoxum) in 2012.
The Krefeld hot end was closed on Friday
the 6th of
December, 2013 after more than 110 years of steel making.